Friday, January 29, 2010

Happy 5th Birthday Ethan


Wow...how the years do fly. Today (I guess yesterday now)was my baby's 5th birthday. I remember the day I “knew” I was pregnant. Daniel and I lived in Washington, and we were out to dinner. I was one week away from graduating from the University of Washington, and so ready to celebrate. I said to Daniel, "I think I need to go get a pregnancy test before I go out tomorrow after class." He was like "whatever," but I did it anyway. We got home, and it said to do it in the morning, but I couldn't wait. So, I think it took like 5 seconds for it to show up. I wish I was not the only one who saw Daniel's face. He was on cloud nine, and I think that is one of the happiest moments of his life. We both looked at each other and started crying, for joy of course. Daniel went to every, I mean every, doctor appointment with me. He loved to hear the heartbeat. We wanted the gender to be a surprise, so we waited the whole nine months to meet “snickle fritts”. I vaguely remember him coming into the world. I was in labor for several hours, and ended up having an emergency c-section. When the doctor was debating on what to do, I remember seeing the fear in Daniel's eyes, but at that point I think he was more worried about me than the baby. I don't remember hearing Ethan cry, I do remember the doctor saying "it's a boy" and looking over at Daniel. He had the biggest smile on his face with tears rolling down his cheeks. They brought Ethan over to me wrapped up like a baby burrito and my heart melted. I was in love with this little man who looked just like his daddy, (actually those were the first words can came out of my mouth when I saw him). I could not wait to hold him. It seemed like an eternity because I had to spend awhile in recovery. I will never forget the first time I held him, it was the most wonderful experience of my life, knowing that this little person depended on you for EVERYTHING. He was the best little baby (well, almost, his baby brother is giving him a run for his money!) He smiled all the time, and with his eyes too. He loved to feel skin. It was so funny because I remember Jaime holding him one day, and Ethan kept putting his hand down her shirt and she said, “I feel like I’m being violated by a 6 month old!” As he grew older him and Emma would sit next to each other on the couch, and when he would get tired he would suck his thumb and rub her neck, she would look at him like…what are you doing? Emma and Ethan were best friends, and I am sure they still are (they did not have much choice since Jaime and I spent everyday together). Unfortunately, I don’t remember all the cute things he did in his earlier years (you were right mom…I hate saying that!).
Ethan, These are my most memorable things about you this year…
1) You have learned to read!
2) You still want to snuggle every night
3) You still call me mama
4) Your are extremely talented in sports (I think this is daddy’s favorite)
5) You stopped sucking your thumb
6) Sometimes you start laughing at silly things and can’t stop
7) It took you 30 minutes to come downstairs at Emma’s house because you put on her ballet leotard, and only because she wanted you to so bad. You were so embarrassed but let Mommy and Jaime take pictures anyway. (Daddy was not happy about this at all, and only said it was okay because a girl wanted you to do it
8) You started big boy school, and never looked back when I dropped you off, I cried
9) You give me a kiss and hug every morning when you get out of the car
10) It cracks me up when you say “what the…”
11) You are a great big brother
12) You are not a morning person like Mommy, and stubborn just like Daddy!
Here is my wish for you (with tears pouring)...
Ethan,
I love you more than words can say. I love being your Mommy. My goal is for you to someday be just like your Daddy.
He is an amazing man, and well respected. You have a great role model and I am greatful for that (thank you mom and dad #2 for raising such a wonderful man). He works hard, and loves, and respects his family…that is what you should strive for. He makes the right decisions with his life and I pray that you will too (I know you don’t understand these words, but someday you will). Grammy, Grumpy, Papa and Nana love you too, and would do anything for you…always remember that. Your grandparents are very important people in your life. You are blessed to have so many people that love you so much in your life.
So, these last words to you… Godspeed little man…I love you, and can’t wait to see what you grow up to be (well I can, because it is going so fast. It will be here before we know it, and my grandpa always said “don’t wish your life away”)! I already am so proud of you!
With all my love,
Mommy (and Daddy)
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL Emily! Way to make a mom cry:) Happy Birthday to your little man! He's certainly blessed to have such a great family-Michelle (Turman) Goodspeed

    ReplyDelete